Re: Blichmann Hop Rocket

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:11 am

I just won one of these in a raffle at my local club's holiday party. STOKED! I think I might end up using it as a randal more - considering I really like my Jamil-O-Chiller... but I might give it a shot. I'm sure it will help filter some trub out. Perfect for a Bo Pils, which I will be brewing soon. Pics and review forthcoming...

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:10 pm

I wish I would have stayed a bit longer man, congrats! I thought we did a killer job of putting together this raffle, glad you won it! So you can probably use it with your jamil o chiller:
-jamil o chill and then pump the cooled wort through the rocket to hopback cold, not as good extraction I am sure but you will probably get some goodness and have another filtering step.
-run the rocket inline with the draw or return liquid for the jamil o chiller hot so you introduce it into the whirlpool.

Whatever you do, bring that bitch to NHC!!! I bet I can get the club to provide a pound or so of whole hops so we can randall it up in San Diego! Rock
On Tap: Dark Mild (x2), Honey Hefe
Fermenting: A.Bastard Clone, Wee Heavy, S/70, Eng. Barleywine
On Deck: ?
11amas

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:29 am

11amas wrote:Whatever you do, bring that bitch to NHC!!! I bet I can get the club to provide a pound or so of whole hops so we can randall it up in San Diego! Rock

Done, and done.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:08 am

Not to be a dick here but isn't a Randle a cheap trick for beers that can't stand on their own? For great hop aroma, not the grassy variety, homebrewers should use ample late hop additions and dry hop. Just sayin'.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:55 pm

No Randall no problem huh Tasty? :jnj

Travisty

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 am

TastyMcD wrote:Not to be a dick here but isn't a Randle a cheap trick for beers that can't stand on their own? For great hop aroma, not the grassy variety, homebrewers should use ample late hop additions and dry hop. Just sayin'.

Tasty

Is mash hopping a cheap trick? How about first wort hopping? Dry hopping?

I fail to see how it is different. Sure the flavor is different but it's just another way to get flavor in a beer.
Dan
Nankin Mills Brewing
dannypo

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:14 am

dannypo wrote:
TastyMcD wrote:Not to be a dick here but isn't a Randle a cheap trick for beers that can't stand on their own? For great hop aroma, not the grassy variety, homebrewers should use ample late hop additions and dry hop. Just sayin'.

Tasty

Is mash hopping a cheap trick? How about first wort hopping? Dry hopping?

I fail to see how it is different. Sure the flavor is different but it's just another way to get flavor in a beer.

I'm certainly not going to debate the definition of "cheap trick". I will contend that hop aroma and flavor extracted during the brewing process is in fact not only different than a Randle, it's different in that it's by far better.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Tasty

Why would it be?

I suppose any flavor addition might be used as a device to compensate for other failings, but there is no reason why it has to be for every such use of a flavor addition.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Equipment