Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Lots of good opinions in here about either plastic or glass. I wonder why nobody has mentioned how the amount of homebrew consumed during a brew day might directly affect the chance of broken carboys. Just a guess, but I would think the two are directly related.

I use glass for now. Guess I haven't drank enough on brew day to switch over to buckets. Although, you guys have me seriously thinking of how easy it is to clean a bucket after primary as opposed to glass. Cleaning carboys is a drag!

justin
Brewcaster J

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:50 am

Brewcaster J wrote:Lots of good opinions in here about either plastic or glass. I wonder why nobody has mentioned how the amount of homebrew consumed during a brew day might directly affect the chance of broken carboys. Just a guess, but I would think the two are directly related.
justin

I broke 2 carboys in one brewing session, resulting in the loss of 6 gal. of pils. And I hadn't had a drop to drink...
Denny

Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:28 am

Maybe it's the inverse of my theory then. One must drink to save the carboys???? If that's what it takes, then by golly, I'm willing to do it!

justin

"Hey! I didn't get a Hurumph out of that guy!" - The Gov
Brewcaster J

Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:32 am

Brewcaster J wrote:Lots of good opinions in here about either plastic or glass. I wonder why nobody has mentioned how the amount of homebrew consumed during a brew day might directly affect the chance of broken carboys. Just a guess, but I would think the two are directly related.

I use glass for now. Guess I haven't drank enough on brew day to switch over to buckets. Although, you guys have me seriously thinking of how easy it is to clean a bucket after primary as opposed to glass. Cleaning carboys is a drag!

justin

My carboy got broken in a non-brewing incident. Bumped it up against something and it literally exploded.
Do you smell sumpin'?
BeerBiker

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:59 pm

fstbttms stole my idea. I have been using that method for years. Milk crates (the real ones you "find" behind the grocery store, and not the fake ones from walmar) give you something solid to hang on to while moving them around. Don't have to worry about wet, slippery glass.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:35 pm

Been lurkin now postin!
This is how I do it!
All grain and gravity. 10+ gal. 2 Home Depot outdoor cookers (110,000 btu), 3 converted kegs (Hot liquor, boil kettle & fermenter) 48 qt. picnic cooler w/slotted copper manifold. Oh! And the temp. controlled chest freezer for serving and lagering.

1. Single infusion. Dough in @ 15 degrees above what I'm shooting for. Into 48 qt cooler
2. Heat sparge water. Sparging proceeds. (usually 45 to 60 min.)
3. Boil- while boil is going, I sanitize fermenter and buckets.
4. Post boil, chill with home made immersion wort chiller and prechiller in icedwater.
5. Bucket to bucket airation.
6. Pour into fermenter (closed)
7. Transfer via co2 to corni's and force carbonate.
Sometimes secondary ????????? :D
"The best beer is found where the priests go to drink."
~ William Shakespeare (1564-1616), A Winter's Tale
N8sbrewing

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment