Pump or no pump?

Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:04 am

I have read other post where folks will describe their sculptures. I too built a sculpture, I believe in the use of gravity in leau of a pump. Is there many other folks out there with brewing sculptures setup in a gravity feed design? Personaly I think it's the way to go. After viewing some setups where some of the guys have an elaborate aray of tubes and coolers and of course a pump to move it around through the spagetti all sprawed across the floor I stop and think,Why? Was it cost, portability ease of construction? Don't get me wrong, I know this may sound aggressive yet it's not intended that way because these systems probably turn out some delishious brew and can be stowed away in a small closet which is perhaps the top reasons for such a setup. But still, can some of you tell me how you came up with that design and how it benifits you on brewday? Just curious?
Stev :roll: e
Steve

Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:02 am

Steve,

I would love to answer your question and I have absolutely nothing against gravity feed systems. I used to use a gravity feed system and turned out great beer. When I moved my system to my basement (instead of our kitchen), I didn't have a high enough ceiling for me to use gravity feed without jostling everything around for individual operations. In other words, I couldn't use a typical three-tiered system. This prompted me to buy a pump and I have been pleased with my decision ever since. Also, as an added bonus, since I don't have to lift heavy tanks of liquid and grains like I used to, my extremely bad back thanks me greatly. I can't say it saves me any time but I am happy with the results. Also, the pump has allowed me to experiment with the use of a HERMS type system of brewing. Although this is not for everyone, I have had a lot of fun using recirculation to maintain mash temp and to experiment with step mashing which I wouldn't have done if I hadn't bought the pump.
Ken Powers

Pump or no pump

Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:25 am

I bought a sculpture from B3 that has a pump. I was torn as to which way to go. I was making the jump from extract brewing to all grain. I finally decided to go with the pump so I can recirculate my mash to maintain the temp. Once I decided to go with the pump, it opened up other options that make my brewing life easier. I get easily distracted or try to multi-task my other household chores so the pump and some of the automation I got with it makes my sculpture a little more screwup resistant for me.

I have to admit that while researching what sculpture to buy, most people were recommending I go with gravity feed to eliminate the possible "pump failure" issue.
John R.
Moondoggie's Mash House
Moondoggie

Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:00 pm

Well gang, those were some informative responces. I can appeciate your recirculation thing. I currently have to recirculate manualy. Yet if thats my only issue I don't think I'll need a pump. Thank again.
Steve
Steve

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:06 am

I yet to have a sculpture, but when I decide to get one it will have a pump, and be either 2 or single tiered. The reason for this is 175 degre hot water 7' up in the air or so and lifting 20# of grain 5-6' in the air to dough in. Does not sound safe to me at any speed. I'm a relativly short person and have already had one major back surgery, I don't want to screw myself up again hoisting grain or water 7 feet in the air or so.

Kevin
Have torch will travel

Check out my brewery.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marketfixr94519/my_photos
marketfixr

Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:18 pm

I have 3 March pumps. I hate lifting 150 lbs of water & SS.
One pump is for recirculating the mash, another is for the sparge/mash water, and the last one is for my future counterchiller. I hate changing hoses around also.
Triple Freak

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:58 am

Upon review of these lifting issues and the related back problems I concur! I too have had several severe back strains which have fortunatly healed and I'm currently in fine shape but these are some very GOOD reasons to install a pump on a brewery! I mean what good is a well brewed beer if your sipping from a wheelchair and knowing the beer is what put you there.
Steve
Steve

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:37 am

Im am thinking about one that lifts the MT for you. As i see no need to move or tend the hot water tank.I also seen no need to move the brewpot it will already be at the lowest level and very easy to look over and tend to. This just leaves the MT/LT and it would be very easy to maks some kind of lift for it. ( I am a EE and work with MEs and CEs that are fellow brewers ) Im am trying to be the first to move fully into all grain. Any input wpuld be greatly apreceated and more often then not needed.
Chaos-in-mt

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures