Re: Connecting Banjo Burner to Black Pipe

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:14 am

Negative. That part has a flare fittimg which doesn't connect (directly) to black pipe. I need a 3/8" MNPT end.
Thirsty Mallard

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 am

The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:32 pm

That's what I have now. I need an orifice fitting. If the 1/4" MNPT side was an orifice connection, we'd be golden!

I think what I'll need to end up doing is using a 1/4" MNPT x 1/4" FNPT orifice (here is a link: http://www.bigway.com/image-viewer.htm? ... 48-100.jpg) and then attach what I currently have to the 1/4" FNPT side. That should work, albeit is another bulky fitting. So much for making this connection look clean.
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:16 pm

I have been on the lookout for the same piece for over a year, and have had no luck. I do have a solution that works fine, however.

1/4" mpt (Techinically while it might look like 1/4" it might really be considered 1/8" - not sure how this is measured), with orifice to 3/8" flare. Tape it well and plug in to a 3/8" x 1/2" bushing. The 3/8" flare will fit fine in to the 3/8" bushing when taped. I realize it's not the exact fitting, but I've done it plenty of times with pressure testing.

Orifice can be found here: http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/5235-turkey-fryer-burner-part.htm Or if ordering some ingredients from B3, I believe they also carry them.
Get 30 extra gravity points by pressing - up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start - during the mash.
BeerRun13

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:58 am

Soft connection, if you are looking for cleanliness. Black pipe says old fashioned :)

Sorry - I am a plumbing SNOB. I use stainless braided teflon core hose with a female SAE45 flare '08' ends (Series P/N) directly to the flare to pipe orifice fitting. Brass nipple, nut and shell unless I feel like stainless, which looks much better. No fitting stack, and no black iron pipe. This works for stands that remain plumbed all the time, or, like my BK, I use brass QD's and can transport the propane tanks and even hide them away in storage. I also have a needle valve option for the flow control.

My company does make a lot of pipe to SAE45 options, if you need more help. I can get you some to help out, but it may take two. Black pipe does not give you the option of anything but pipe threads. You could flare copper tubing as one of the previous posters did. Copper is easy to work with, bending and flaring. Nuts are available in many lengths for tube support applications.

Good luck!
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu May 26, 2011 11:31 am

I assume you've got it worked out by now. But it sounds like you need a 14"orifice x 1/4 MPT and a 14" FPT x 3/8" MPT or elbow. I just went through something like this with a member of the Cane Island Alers. Maybe it was You? He never did tell me his screen name, but I noticed a Thirsty Mallard on their now-defunct forum.
aleguy

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:23 pm

I had a local propane shop do the initial piping on mine and they had it rigged up with pipe all the way to the burner. I had a welder widen my stand by a few inches to accommodate larger pots and he had to adjust the gas line from the vertical black pipe to the burner. He used copper.

I have since gone from propane to natural gas and asked the plumber who installed my gas line about the copper and whether it would be a problem with natural gas. He said that with the frequency at which I used my stand, it wouldn't be a problem as far as corrosion goes.

So copper tubing and some compression fittings will work.
I've consumed all of my homebrew. I'm worried. I can't relax. Now what?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures