Spices and Herbs

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:12 am

Jamil,

I have a question about utilizing spices and herbs. I checked the archive but did not see anything about using these. So i have been brewing for about 5 yrs, all-grain for about 3. I have read book upon book and continue to read and re-read about brewing. Such as how to brew, design great beers, etc. I have been designing and formulating my own recipes for about 1.5 yrs but when it comes to using spices and herbs that arent commonly used i can never seem to get the proportions right based on the taste and flavor profile Im looking for. I know making tinctures and tea's is good to recognize the flavor and attributes but how do you correlate this into proportions. Also you use teas for leafy things but what about whole or crushed spices? Also crushed verses whole which is better? I recently made a winter lager that had clove ginger nutmeg and star anise. Well i added to much star anise n little to much clove so its little tongue numbing. I do know part of my issue was that it is a little dry and should not have let it finish off so low around 1.008 if i recall. But Im havin some trouble with proportions and I know its all based on taste and flavor profiles, but any help or a rule of thumb or good method would be awesome to help in my dilemma. Cheers! Tom jerome
:bnarmy:
Sharkguy05
PFC - East Coast Division
"Your never to drunk to fall off the floor"

Tap:
Kats Sour puss
Dunkelweisse
Big Fat Bock
Crystal satan
Fermenting:
Wise Bugg
sharkguy05

Re: Spices and Herbs

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 pm

+1. I'd love to hear a brewstrong about using herbs and spices. I've been experimenting a lot with this lately, and besides the brute-force method of split-batching and blending, I've no real guidance here. Some real scientific know-how would be really appreciated.
pfooti

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Might think about calling in to the next brew strong with JZ and Rock Candy and ask them live. Or shoot this to JZ direct in PM, might get a quicker answer. Also, if he doesn't chime in here....shoot Bugeater a PM and ask him.

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:56 pm

I sent hime an email to brew stron but good idea on the PM..... I can never seem to catch the show live being on the east coast
Sharkguy05
PFC - East Coast Division
"Your never to drunk to fall off the floor"

Tap:
Kats Sour puss
Dunkelweisse
Big Fat Bock
Crystal satan
Fermenting:
Wise Bugg
sharkguy05

Return to Brew Strong