Homebrew v. Pro Brew

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 am

With Filmlabrat's latest post and some people agreeing with him about the decline of the Session, I'm wondering what people think the Session should be about.

Justin's commented more than once that continuing to discuss home brewing is difficult because they've already covered all of the topics and then some. I tend to agree. Especially since everything is available in the archives. And, acknowledging that changes in technology and philosophy do take place, I don't think the changes are so quick and significant that a new show would be warranted. Given that and the fact that they provide a mechanism for providing show ideas, I'm interested in hearing what other listeners would change.

Personally, I like the pro brew interviews. The brewcaster asshattery is always fun if not sometimes too excessive. But, I also don't need to hear the same info over and over and over again. I have the same problem with homebrew how-to books. I feel like the majority of them regurgitate the same things.

So, thoughts?
12stones

Re: Homebrew v. Pro Brew

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am

I like the pro beer interviews, with a mix of recipes and techniques of the pro brewers applied to homebrew. I also like the coverage of major home brewing events, NHC, Longshot etc...

There is a little bit too much sour beer talk though :) and I'm too much of a pussy to try one.
NervousDad

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 am

NervousDad wrote:I like the pro beer interviews, with a mix of recipes and techniques of the pro brewers applied to homebrew. I also like the coverage of major home brewing events, NHC, Longshot etc...

There is a little bit too much sour beer talk though :) and I'm too much of a pussy to try one.

Here are two good moto's to live by:

Don't be a pussy, pussies get eaten.
Don't be a hero, hero's die.
CRBrewHound

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:57 am

NervousDad wrote:There is a little bit too much sour beer talk though :) and I'm too much of a pussy to try one.

There were tons of sours at NHC last year. It's the perfect opportunity to try some sours but not feel like crap that you just spent $10-$15 and realize you hate it.

Try it...you may like it. Then you'll have to set separate equipment aside to brew your own sours.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am

CRBrewHound wrote:Don't be a pussy, pussies get eaten.

They also get fingered, fisted and fucked. Eaten might not be the worst alternative.
12stones

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:23 am

I don't know that I would say that the Session has declined. It definitely has changed, moving from home brew to pro brew, as Film Lab Rat pointed out. But how many times can you do a mash show, or a yeast show, or a fermentation show? For that matter how many times can you do a "Why'd you start your brewery" show?

I liked Can You Brew It and Homebrew Chef, but they're gone. I was never able to get into Brew Strong. And the Session doesn't make me happy in my pants anymore. :cry:

There are a lot of great people in this forum and I am happy to keep contributing to hang out with them. :bnarmy:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 am

I like the insight and the backstories of the Pro brewers. It's fascinating to find out about unconventional methods. A lot if this info is adaptable to homebrewing so it's not all for nothing. I like to think any hacking on homebrewers is not truly malicious. We are easy targets after all. The racism and cunt talk is pretty tiring and lowbrow. Justin doesn't care that The Session is not for everyone. The Session is The Session and that's what it will be until enough people quit contributing and then it will go away. I still enjoy listening to the interviews and clowning around. I will keep contributing until the value is lost. Hopefully that won't be for a long time.
Love u guys! :nutters:
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 pm

12stones wrote:
CRBrewHound wrote:Don't be a pussy, pussies get eaten.

They also get fingered, fisted and fucked. Eaten might not be the worst alternative.

+1
CRBrewHound

Next

Return to The Sunday Session