Cigar Show - Hygrometer does not require a spellcheck

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Just listened to the podcast of the cigar show and was surprised to hear that nobody knew the difference between a hydrometer and a hygrometer. It's a shame Doc wasn't there, because I bet he'd have had the answer. The chat poster was gently pointing out that the guest was making an embarrassing mistake.

A hydrometer is an instrument used to measure the specific gravity (or relative density) of liquids - that's what we brewers use (unless you use a refractometer). The device on a cigar humidor is a hygrometer, which is an instrument used for measuring relative humidity. A hygrometer would be no help with brewing beer, and a hydrometer is useless for keeping cigars fresh.

-JAI
ScarecrowPA

Re: Cigar Show - Hygrometer does not require a spellcheck

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:15 am

I was wondering about that when listening to the podcast. I just chalked it up to something I didn't know about though since the guest seemed so certain about it.
Travisty

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 am

I was thinking the same thing when I was listening, including that Doc probably would have picked up on the gaff, too. Easy mistake to make, though. No biggie.
PWeis909

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:30 am

I'm also pretty sure that tobacco doesn't go through an actual fermentation. I think it is more like what tea processing calls "fermentation", but is actually an enzymatic oxidation that is part of the drying/curing process.
JLem

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:29 am

JLem wrote:I'm also pretty sure that tobacco doesn't go through an actual fermentation. I think it is more like what tea processing calls "fermentation", but is actually an enzymatic oxidation that is part of the drying/curing process.

I can't speak to the tea process at all, but I'm a big cigar smoker.

Fermentation is actually a completely different process from the drying/curing process. Here's a link rather than me retyping:
http://www.tabacordillera.com/cigar-leaf-processing.htm
mthhurley

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 am

Meh, he mixed up two words while sitting around drinking with friends. Who hasn't done the same thing? All his other info regarding cigars and humidors was spot on.

Tobacco does go through fermentation. It may be semantics, but I've read many sources that refer to tobacco fermentation for cigars. I'm certainly no expert, but the write ups on how cigars are made at my favorite online cigar shops are really interesting, even it I don't absorb 100%. One even mentioned brett. in the fermentation, I don't remember where I saw that though.
yellowthere

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:46 pm

I just bought 4 cigars from an old man that most likely had COPD and throat cancer. They are Oliva Brand. He didn't have tatuaje and said that its more of a gimic.... the way this guy sounded when he talked was convincing enough for me to just listen to him. He sounded like he was about to die right there.
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:46 pm

mthhurley wrote:
JLem wrote:I'm also pretty sure that tobacco doesn't go through an actual fermentation. I think it is more like what tea processing calls "fermentation", but is actually an enzymatic oxidation that is part of the drying/curing process.

I can't speak to the tea process at all, but I'm a big cigar smoker.

Fermentation is actually a completely different process from the drying/curing process. Here's a link rather than me retyping:
http://www.tabacordillera.com/cigar-leaf-processing.htm

My bad. I just couldn't wrap my head around fermentation as it was described and I knew that tea production used the same term for a completely different process. I figured tobacco was more similar to tea than beer. Anyways thanks for the link. Here's another link that talks abotu some science behind it. http://www.tobaccoscienceonline.org/doi ... 23-46.1.24
JLem

Next

Return to The Sunday Session