Re: Early Harvest for Sure!

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:26 pm

I spray with "natria" pyrethryn(sp) spray when the cones are still on the vine. Sevn when its just leaf. I think I will get a pound dry if the mites dont get the cones first. With this heat its hard to tell if the slight browning of cones is due to heat, mites or proper ripening. Mine smell great and some feel papery. But I definately have a mite issue with much of the foliage on the main bines. On my next day off I will decide wheather or not to harvest. I refuse to give this harvest to the mites. Id rather harvest on the early side. By early april my hops where to my gutters so harvest in late june would not be out of the question.
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:11 am

My plants here in CT seem to be right about on track. Looking good so far but I don't think harvest will be much earlier. The flowers are just starting to show up.
mtyquinn

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:56 am

i know people use it on marijuana, thanks for reminding me. :jnj
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Neem is supposed to work great but I understand it should 't be used once you have cones.
Ironman

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 am

Checked them close yesterday and it looks like I'm about a week or 2 away from picking my 2nd harvest this year on 3rd year Cascades. The heat wave finally broke a bit a week ago and they are really recovering well now. Looking forward to fresh whole hops!
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Previous

Return to Homegrown