Mystery Hops growing in the yard

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Moving into a new house in Niersbach, Germany (I'm stationed here) I homebrew (duh that's why I'm here) and while poking around in the backyard there is a hop plant not trained in anyway just growing like a weed in the backyard. It had a lot of big green buds on it but each bud had some brown on the bottom (nitrogen deficiency?)

I was just wondering if there is anyway I can figure out what variety I have? I'll try and snap some pictures of it if that helps. Is there a good gallery to look at what a German hop plant will look like to distinguish?
Broners&Brewbies

Re: Mystery Hops growing in the yard

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:44 am

Most likely a German hop, of course. As to which variety, look very closely at the hop cones and you *might* be able to narrow things down, based on:

http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewi ... fications/
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Return to Homegrown