Efficiency Help!

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:33 am

Since i upgraded my system from stove top to a full 5 gal system (cooler and turkey fryer set up) all of my O.G's have come out way low. BeerSmith calculated the efficiency of my last batch at 43.4%. I know i can add more grain to account for low efficiency and I can also just make a smaller volume of beer but I'd really like to make 5 gals of the beer I set out to make. I spent a few hours building a copper manifold (following the directions in BYO) but that hasn't seemed to help. I haven't messed around with my water chemistry yet. Anyone have any ideas what is going on?
BrewLikeMike86

Re: Efficiency Help!

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:37 am

43% is way too low. We need more information to diagnose the problem--what kind of mash tun? How are you crushing the grain? What temp are you mashing at? What grist ratio are you using? Is your thermometer calibrated? Did you do an iodine test for conversion? How are you sparging? Etc. etc...
siwelwerd

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:44 pm

I am using a rectangular cooler as a mash tun. Im having my grain crushed at my local homebrew shop and I have a digital thermometer that tells me i'm hitting my mash temp (152) dead on every time, so I dont think my crush or temp is my problem. the grist ratio im using differs but its anywhere from 1 qt/lb to 1.5 qt/lb. Im batch sparging by emptying the mash tun and then adding sparge water to make up the remainder of my preboil volume. I feel like I'm doing alot of things right but I'm missing something
BrewLikeMike86

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:15 pm

I would guess your crush is terrible. LHBS has nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing a shitty crush -- no complaints of stuck sparges, and he sells more ingredients if you get used to a shitty efficiency. Try double crushing next time and see if your efficiency shoots up to 60s or 70s just by doing that alone.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Just because the thermometer says 152 doesn't mean it's at 152. And just because your LHBS is crushing your grain doesn't mean they're doing it right ;) I agree, the crush is the most likely culprit, but I'd also double check the calibration on your thermometer just in case.. Like you said, you're doing a lot of things right, so it's most likely one of those two things.
siwelwerd

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Maybe they're not crushing it at all :D

Always calibrate your testing gear, especially thermometers. That goes triple for those of the digital variety. It's not difficult nor does it take a lot of time. I check mine every brew.

That being said, it's more likely the crush (or both with the crush having a bigger effect).

Edit: Also make sure you're checking the temp after a good stir. The mash will have hot/cold spots. If you're not probing all that deep, it's likely your mash could be several degrees hotter.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:47 am

When adding your water for batch sparging back to the mash tun are you allowing the grains and added water to rest for a good 10-15 minutes after a good stirring? This allows the sugars to become more soluble and will increase your efficiency as you drain your tun.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:38 pm

You also need to make sure you are measuring your volumes correctly, can't get an accurate Eff without accurately measuring everything...
Stinkfist

Return to All Grain Brewing