Off flavor

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:40 pm

I have had great success in my home brewing, but lately my beers all seem to have this strange off flavor. I do not drink a lot so I'm wondering if my beers are just going stale, I finish a corny keg in about 3 months. The flavor is a back of the tongue flavor. A commercial beer with this same flavor is Adnams Broadside. I also wonder if the flavor could be diacetyl.

Right before kegging my beer I always take a taste test from the uncarbonated beer and it seems okay, but when I get around to tasting the beer later on here comes that flavor. I have cleaned all of my faucets and corny kegs and replaced all of my beer lines in my serving system and still the flavor pops up.

I use the two water cooler method and produce ten gallons at a time, I boil for at least 60 minutes, use only white labs yeast. Ferment inside at around 70 degrees in glass carboys.
6tap

Re: Off flavor

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Welcome
Take a look up at the off flavor flashcards on the bjcp web site. Perhaps the descriptions can help you zero in on the flavor you are tasting.
http://www.google.com/search?q=off+flav ... h=bjcp.org

Do you have a homebrew club nearby? Bring a bottle and ask if someone can help identify it.

You can also go to the bjcp web site and look for the list of potential exam proctors near you. If you email them, they my be willing to help you figure out what's going on.

http://www.bjcp.org/apps/reports/proctors.php

Hth
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Re: Off flavor

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:13 am

Agreed. If you can provide some descriptors we may be better able to assist you. For example, does the beer coat your tongue with a slickness or is it more of a harsh tingling quality? What is the carbonation level like? Are you getting any stale/oxidized flavors (like paper or even wet cardboard)?
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to All Grain Brewing