Brewing Disasters

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 am

Just agitated my yeast....... with a slight contact with another full fermenting carboy. Clink! Hole in carboy at the very top of the beer level. Small gusher, with a slight tip and a block of wood, I propped it up with a block of wood, ran for another acid jar, sanitized it, purged it with CO2, and racked. At 50% to final gravity, there was plenty of CO2 to protect the beer, done in under 10 minutes. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oh well just another brew day :drink
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Re: Brewing Disasters

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:25 am

Be careful. That carboy is now toast. It can sever arteries. Put on the best leather un-cuttable gloves you can find and rack out of it, then get rid of it.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 am

I put it in a 50 lb. grain sack, put a couple of nylon ties on it and dropped it 6 inches onto concrete to finish it off! In the trash now! I only lost a pint of beer :D
Yes, glass is hazardous to use. The glass carboy is quite thin in places. I also had to put down a starter flask this week too!

I better use red plastic cups for a while. I call it the "Negative Midas Touch"
Thanks
Gary
German Bock
gwk453

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Sounds like someone might be imbibing a bit too much during the brew day! Glad to hear you suffered no injuries and even saved the beer.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 pm

Nope! Don't brew and drink at the same time. Just to much to keep straight on brew day.
I burnt my puss gut while stirring boiling wort 3 years ago with no shirt on! Had a pink belly for a year after.
Learned my lesson.

My ferment fridge is a little tight with two carboys in it. I had just made "improvements" to my shelving to hold the carboys.
German Bock
gwk453

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:11 pm

I've lost a couple starters the same way.
Bad Goat Brewing

Return to All Grain Brewing