Uneven crush

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 am

Just bought my first grain mill, a Cereal Crusher from AIH. I ran some grain through it and got an very uneven crush (a lot of powder and a lot of uncracked kernels). I've searched interwebs but only found one applicable post suggesting that running the drill too fast could cause this. I'll try running the drill on a slower speed next time, but does anyone else have experience or suggestions that could help?
SexyBeerClown

Re: Uneven crush

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 am

Speed is going to be a big part of it, but so is the roller adjustment. Just keep running small amounts of grain through it, tweaking the spacing to make sure it's even & at the right distance. At a slow speed, of course.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 am

+1 on milling too fast as a possible cause of this.

I'm not familiar with that mill (but I haven't had to look at mills in a long time). Does it have independent adjustments for the roller? Or, some even only have adjustments for 1 end, allowing the rollers to become sort of diagonal to each other, pinching hard at one end but having a large gap at the other, allowing whole kernels to pass through uncrushed or undercrushed.

The preferable state is that the rollers are evenly spaced, and they produce a crush that is a consistent mix of unshredded husk, small chunks, and some flour. Not enough flour and your efficiency goes to shit. Too much and your mashes all stick. If your husks are too shredded, they won't lauter well, either.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 am

I do believe the rollers are evenly spaced regardless of what spacing I adjust to, but I'll check that when I get home. I'm now pretty confident that I just milled it too fast, I hadn't even been thinking about that when I did it. I'll run a few tests and different speeds and roller adjustments tonight; I'm sure I'll figure it out. Thanks for all your help!
SexyBeerClown

Return to All Grain Brewing