Re: Iodine Test?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
Bad Goat Brewing wrote:So when the iodine test shows all the starches are converted, do mash out then? What if it shows conversion 20 minutes in?

Sometimes conversion can happen in 20 minutes. If it does, then proceed.

Hmmmm, I'm going to have to buy a bottle of iodine. I'm always looking at ways to shorten the brew day.
Bad Goat Brewing

Re: Iodine Test?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:51 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
Bad Goat Brewing wrote:So when the iodine test shows all the starches are converted, do mash out then? What if it shows conversion 20 minutes in?

Sometimes conversion can happen in 20 minutes. If it does, then proceed.

I'd agree that conversion can often be very quick, but that doesn't mean that complete conversion has occurred. If you are ground to flour its probably done, but if you have starch trapped in some husks it might take some time for the starches in those small pockets to be converted.

So if you want to go as fast as possible, after a positive iodine test stir it up and let it go for another 10 minutes or so. Though unless you are instantly taking it to mashout temps there will still be some enzymatic activity while you are vorlaufing and sparging.
Bokonon

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing