Has anyone had this happen?

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:01 pm

So I don' know exactly hoe to explain this and I don't really think it's bad... but in the pictures below you can see that my wort after chilling and before pitching the east has a TON of what seems to be protein floating in suspension. After about 40 minutes it all settled out to the bottom of the fermenter, then once the yeast started kicking into high gear it basically ate all of this crud... Has anyone seen this happen in their brewing?

Is this just what cold break normally looks like?

Thanks for the input!
SwiftRiver

Re: Has anyone had this happen?

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:39 pm

SwiftRiver wrote:So I don' know exactly hoe to explain this and I don't really think it's bad... but in the pictures below you can see that my wort after chilling and before pitching the east has a TON of what seems to be protein floating in suspension. After about 40 minutes it all settled out to the bottom of the fermenter, then once the yeast started kicking into high gear it basically ate all of this crud... Has anyone seen this happen in their brewing?

Is this just what cold break normally looks like?

Thanks for the input!

Yep, that's coldbreak
speed

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 am

SwiftRiver wrote:Yep, that's coldbreak

Definitely the coagulated protein and whatnot from a strong cold break. You usually don't want a whole lot of it in the fermenter but it's not a problem for a strong ferment.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 am

Yeah, feel free to rack the wort off that if it hasn't started vigorous 0fermentation.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm

I just got a wort chiller so have just started experiencing cold break myself, but how important is the removal when brewing ales? Jamil makes the distinction in BCS saying that the preferred method for making lagers is different in that they should be chilled and racked off the cold break. I assumed he meant different from ales, but maybe he meant different from another lagering technique. I also know that ales are better at covering diacetyl flavors; some styles even allow small amounts. So...thoughts? Do most of you rack off from cold break for ales?
12stones

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

I try to keep it out, but it's really not that big of a deal. I mostly use conicals now so I'll dump it from those, but in the past I've done the rack it into a carboy & rack off the settled trub method. Now if it's going into a carboy & I really don't feel like cleaning an extra one, I'll just leave it. You really need a lot of it in there to make any major flavor impact to your beer.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:59 am

Anyone using a counterflow or plate chiller that isn't going into conicals and dumping the break is likely going to be fermenting on top of all this.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks very much for the responses. This was a Scotch Ale that I brewed about a month ago. I pitched on top of all that cold break and the yeast really went to town on it, so for this batch I don't think any ill effects came about from it, but in the future it may be good to rack off of this and leave it behind. The first two batches I brewed prior to this one didn't really show any visible cold break in the carboy.

My theory is that, because for this beer I did a 90 min boil and used Irish Moss, that those two factors played into the reason for so much cold break. Any input on that? Or do people usually see this much cold break produced in their beers?

Thanks!
SwiftRiver

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing