5.2 and CO2 Off Flavor

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm

I've brewed 21 all grain batches with great results and have never worried about my mash pH until recently. I added 1 tablespoon of Five Star's 5.2 mash stabilizer to each of my last two beers, an ESB and American Amber for shits and giggles. Before kegging, both beers tasted young but right where they should be. Once kegged, I hooked both up to CO2 at 12 psi for a week. Upon tasting both after a week, I noticed that they developed an awful metallic mineral like taste that was not there at kegging. Since I brew 6 gallon batches, I always have some leftover in the fermenter once the keg is full, so I fill up a couple of bombers just to have around. I also tried the bombers of uncarbonated beer, and none of them have developed the terrible flavor that the kegs did.

My sanitation practices are sound, and have never had the slightest infection. I have full fermentation temperature control, so that is not a factor either.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that adding CO2 (carbonic acid with a pH around 4 at a pressure of 12 psi) to the beer is activating the buffer in 5.2 and producing this flavor.

If anyone has had this experience or can lend any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. No more shits and giggles for me.
Fermenting
-Lavender Wit
-Black IPA

Conditioning

-Imperial Stout

On Tap
-Belgian Blonde
-Saison
-Altbier
-Belgian Dubbel
-Munich Helles
-APA
mlaw06

Re: 5.2 and CO2 Off Flavor

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:58 am

When did you add the 5.2? 1 tablespoon doesn't really seem like enough, were you just using it for your sparge water? Also what are you cleaning your kegs with, and where did you get your co2 tank from?
KTRyan

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:08 pm

I added the 5.2 to my sparge water. It says to use 1 tablespoon if you have 5 gallons leaving your kettle. The CO2 tank is fine. I have used it for 6 different beers, which were all fine. I clean my kegs with PBW, but I then rinse thoroughly with hot water. Could some residual PBW be the problem?
Fermenting
-Lavender Wit
-Black IPA

Conditioning

-Imperial Stout

On Tap
-Belgian Blonde
-Saison
-Altbier
-Belgian Dubbel
-Munich Helles
-APA
mlaw06

Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:37 pm

Residual PBW can provide a metallic off taste. I know this because I made up a batch of a rye blonde ale for my homebrew club a couple years ago. The owner of the LHBS did not rinse the PBW out of the keg very well and then kegged the beer when I was not there. Upon later tasting, there was definitely a metallic flavor to it.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 pm

this sounds VERY VERY similar to a problem I'm having. Do you find the first pour to be the worst? I have changed lines, taps, sanitisers, fermenters, hoses, and so on.

Did not suspect the 5.2 but I have been using it every time. I'm going to drop and see what happens? What sort of water do you have? I have also just found the 5.2 doesnt lower my PH very well. Water is 7-8 and end up with 5.8 or so when brewing a pale beer. My water is also quite salty. I have a growler of my latest batch waiting so I'll give that a go tonght. But shouldnt the same carbonic acid be produced naturally?

This is very interesting :idea:
Eamonn

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I stopped using 5.2, but basically because I wanted to learn how to manipulate water.

One of the best brewers I know uses 5.2 and consistently makes beers that are absolutely fantastic (far better than mine!).

As for the metalic taste, I had that problem with PBW. You have to rinse your kegs really really well. Rub your finger on your keg when you're done rinsing. It should be squeaky/dry, not slick. If you're worried, drink some water out of it. Not immediately, but about 5 minutes later your mouth will start to taste fairly bitter if there's still pbw in it.

Oxyclean cleans off more easily.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Also sanitizing with star san an acid will neutralize pbw that is a base cleaner. Don't fear the foam.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 am

Does anybody know the limitations of the 5.2 stabiliser? I havent managed to get a PH anywhere near 5.2 when using it. I wonder if certain water profiles resist the buffering ability of it. Not to mention the off flavour which may also be linked to it.

My water profile is roughly as follows:
Calcium 30
Magnesium 9
Alkalinity as CaCO3 125
sodium 120
Chloride 180
Sulfate 35
Water pH 7.7-8
Eamonn

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing