Which type of Brew Stand should I build?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 pm

I keep going back and forth on which type of brew stand to build...this what i know

It will be a single tier system (since I already have 2 pumps)
It will make 10 gallon batches though I would like to be able to make 5 gallon batches as well
It will be a HERMS system with a coil in the HLT
It will be a digital system meaning I can control the temp with a controller

My Main dilemma is whether to make it electric or Propane...I hate buying propane and with a 10 gallon system I would think I would be buying even more propane. The problem is I have no idea how to hook up the controls for the gas pilot valves the and the pilot. I have seen a lot of stuff on what to buy but no information on how to wire it all up...how difficult is it? are there a set of direction somewhere...don't want to waste money buying the wrong stuff...With the electric system Kal from theelectricbrewery.com has made very easy to follow and layed it all out..so it makes me want to go that way....but I would then need to also install a spa panel or something so I could get 240 in the garage.

anyone know of a site that goes through wiring and hooking up a propane brew stand kinda like how kal does?

I work at a place that basically all they do is weld stainless steel so building the stand will be quite easy as I have a welder and access to every tool you could imagine. Could even laser or water jet parts if I needed...lol it is just the wiring and hooking everything up I am unsure of..

anyone have any wisdom or insight into this I would appreciate it

Thanks my networks! :) :crazybitch:
Stinkfist

Re: Which type of Brew Stand should I build?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't know how detailed the Brutus plans are, but you can buy them pretty cheaply. It's a LOVE controlled RIMS system, but the wiring should be applicable for the most part. Just researching the LOVE controllers might give you some insight.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am

Yeah I have looked at those but have not seen detailed info on the automation parts and wiring them up.
Stinkfist

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Stink, can't you just wing it, it's only electricity and gas, what could go wrong?

love

g
"in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"....a person not quite as plastered as the rest (not a quote by RSM grod of the BN Army)
grod

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:42 pm

The Brutus 10 plans call for a standing pilot system. When I originally built mine, that is what I used. But... blown out pilots and burners got to be a PITA, so I went with an automatic, flame sense ignition source from Robertshaw.

Basically, everything is wired as normal on page 6 & 8 of the plans here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwzHw2W ... y=CNfDoqwE

The difference with auto light is that I added a flame sense ignitor in the same circuit as the Love controller output for each burner's gas valve, MLT and HLT. The ignitor replaced the standing pilot.

Here is the ignitor I went with:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Robertshaw-785 ... elight-Kit

As long as the Love controllers are calling for flame, the Robershaw system will light/relight the burner.
Once the burner is lit, they stop attempting to light.
For my boil burner I use no Love controller, but I do still use a gas solenoid and ignitor, so lighting the burner is as simple as flipping a switch on the control panel.
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 pm

tlael wrote:The Brutus 10 plans call for a standing pilot system. When I originally built mine, that is what I used. But... blown out pilots and burners got to be a PITA, so I went with an automatic, flame sense ignition source from Robertshaw.

Basically, everything is wired as normal on page 6 & 8 of the plans here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwzHw2W ... y=CNfDoqwE

The difference with auto light is that I added a flame sense ignitor in the same circuit as the Love controller output for each burner's gas valve, MLT and HLT. The ignitor replaced the standing pilot.

Here is the ignitor I went with:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Robertshaw-785 ... elight-Kit

As long as the Love controllers are calling for flame, the Robershaw system will light/relight the burner.
Once the burner is lit, they stop attempting to light.
For my boil burner I use no Love controller, but I do still use a gas solenoid and ignitor, so lighting the burner is as simple as flipping a switch on the control panel.

Thanks a lot tlael that is extremely helpful! that makes it seem simple enough..the parts list is helpful. and i will def go with the autolight if I go this way..

If I go the way of like the brutus 10 can i still use any RTD temp gauge? I was planning to do it similar to how Kal does his temp reading anyone know if this http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=189 will work with the love controllers? or if something like this will work with the gas valve http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=106

Thanks for the help
Stinkfist

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Sure, you can use an RTD temp gauge, but it would be separate from the controller as the RTD temp sensors won't work with the common/cheap Love controllers. They use a PTC/NTC thermocouple.

That PID you have linked seems to be capable of using the RTD input and being able to control a gas valve. It's also about $8 cheaper than a Love controller.
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 am

I'll add my .02 for electric. Nothing like being able to brew inside in a controlled environment. And to add to that electric systems lend themselves to automation very easily. I have 10-gallon single tier all-electric HERMS system and have brewed on it for well over 6 years without a hitch. Wiring is tricky, so PM's might be best on that unless you want to take this thread directly into the weeds...
Jay
___

Lime cat thinks you suck
___

ON TAP:
RIS
Hefe
Pumpkin Ale
English Brown
American Blonde
O'fest
APA