Frozen Yeast

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:12 am

My WLP002 appears to have frozen in the fridge. When I pitched into my starter last night, the yeast just fell out in a plug. What are the chances of it still being viable? It has been on the stir plate all night and today it looks like it could be developing a little foam, so I plan on just rollin with it and stepping it up again. I got a Wyeast 1028 London Ale that I can start up if needed.. I am planning on brewing Sat.
-Dave
“A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.”
bigwave

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 am

WLP002 has a distinctive cottage cheese look to it, so perhaps you did not freeze it after all. If it is making bubble on your stir plate, then it is probably fine.
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks DannyW :D That is what I was wanting to hear... I will return the wyeast to the fridge. I have adjusting the temp up on the fridge as well.
Many Thanks,
Dave
“A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.”
bigwave

Return to Fermentation