Fermentation for Jamil Belgian wit

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Hello I going to brew jamil Belgium wit tomorrow an I have a ? about the fermentation profile. In jamil BYO issue for this recipe state to ferment at 68f an slowly raising temperature to 72f by the last one third of fermentation . Now I know to gauge it accuracy you would have to take hydrometer samples daily to see where the last one third of fermentation is. But I the type of person that does not like to mess with taking a lot of hydrometer samples now is it possible to just wing it an judge by days into fermentation instead of taking multiply hydrometer samples daily I do take hydro reading but I don't want to risk infec my batch
Kenthebrewer888

Re: Fermentation for Jamil Belgian wit

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:00 am

I'd just hold at 68 for about 48 hours, then raise a degree per day until you get to 72.
dogismycopilot

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:05 am

Well, obviously measuring it is better. Especially if this is the first time you are working with this beer (or even just this yeast). Once you have done it once you can probably guess subsequent times and be ok since you kinda know what is going to happen.

That said, I hear where you are coming from. I would imagine with a good pitch of active yeast that the whole ferment will be 4-5 days, so if you had the temperature rising to hit 72 on day 2 you might be close.

The blulosopher guy did an experiment with raising to different ferment temperatures after pitching at the same temp and found that the differences were minimal. I don't remember which show it was on, but I'm sure you could find it looking back in the archives. I only bring that up because I don't know how much variability you will actually see in the beer if you go up at 20%, 30% or at 50%. You should probably brew it 3 times at those percentages and report the results back here so we know (ok, i'm just kidding...mostly).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:49 am

If you are looking at a fermentation for your wit to most likely be close to done within 5-6 days, then start at 68F for a day or two and be sure to slowly ramp up to 72 by the end of that 5-6 day period.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation