Fermented OJ

Thu May 24, 2007 12:51 pm

So, my wife decided to fire up the old Juicer lately in an effort to get us to start intaking more fruits and veggies. She juiced a bunch of apples of all types and it made for a mighty fine tasting juice. It got me thinking of doing the same, but trying to ferment it to make some cider. Can't get more fresh and natural than freshly juiced....juice.

Then I got to thinking of the oranges she juiced...anyone every try fermenting OJ? I imagine it would work as there's tons of sugary goodness for yeast to munch on, but what would the end product be like. Before I attempt (which I believe I will) just wanted to know if anyone tried.
buffburgo

Thu May 24, 2007 1:50 pm

Krotch once told me that he fermented orange juice when he was much younger.

KROTCH?
code
codewritinfool

Thu May 24, 2007 2:06 pm

I did a batch of orange juice with a bunch of sugar added to it a long time ago. It was a high power prison wine sort of recipe but using a good dry wine yeast. There was a small can of prune juice in it too. Some day it could be drinkable but the last time I sampled one it reminded me of that orange stuff used to remove sticker glue.
Brewing Advice from the Peanut Gallery
bj_braggot

Thu May 24, 2007 7:08 pm

I made a yeast starter for mead with just OJ a while back. The supernate tasted great - kind of like a ready made Mimosa. Sparkly and bright.

I've considered fermenting out a gallon of OJ but haven''t gotten around to it yet. I did make an orange melomel that is quite tasty.

FYI the OG of OJ around here is around 1.050 IIRC. HTH. HAND. :)
DannyW

Fri May 25, 2007 8:11 am

I did some natural fermentation of OJ back in college when I first started brewing. It was quite nice and tasted like a mirmosa. It had a big kick to it too.
SunkenBier

Sun May 27, 2007 4:27 am

Maybe we should have a pruno show!
Justin can host it from a prison and have detailed interviews with professional pruno brewers.
Keggermeister AKA: HalifaxNick
keggermeister

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:27 pm

keggermeister wrote:Maybe we should have a pruno show!
Justin can host it from a prison and have detailed interviews with professional pruno brewers.

That's the best idea ever. It would have to be on lunch meet.
jeremymm

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:15 pm

I think the problem with oj is its so one dimensional just sour and fermentable sugar. When you ferment it all the oj flavor /aroma goes out the airlock.

One thing I've heard it is good for is making mead starters. Instant acid blend...
lilybrew

Return to Mead & Cider