Fermented food...

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 am

I made me some sourkraut. No beer in it, but it is fermented. And if you have it with bratwurst and mashed potatoes, then its virtually compulsory to accompany it with a litre or so of a fine german lager!!!

My but this gear is tasty. easily the best sourkraut I have ever tasted. Got the initial info from Raj Apte's site, then just a couple of googles for homemade sourkraut.

It was super easy and I reccomend that you all give it a go.

Ferment everything I say...

Why the hell not?

Thirtsy
Thirsty Boy

Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:27 am

I'm going to have to try again, I guess, my first attempt at kraut was a failure. Even with a heavy press the liquid never went even halfway up the pile of slaw.

Gotta get fresh, heavy cabbage, I think. Dried up crap wrapped in cellophane in the grocery store was no good for this.
DannyW

Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:48 am

Yeah,

My first try (only used a quater cabbage) didn't go sour. 4 weeks in the crock and all I had was salted cabbage. Which was quite nice anyway. I used it in salad! I think I used too much salt and it knocked out the lacto bugs.

This time it was a whole head of organic cabbage from a local community garden market. More careful measuring of salt and just to make sure about the lacto.... a couple of teaspoons of the clear liquid off the top of my wifes tub of "natural" yoghurt.

That said, I still had to add a bit of extra brine to get the liquid level up.

better luck on your second attempt. I'll be keeping some of this stuff on the go permanently now!!

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:43 pm

chipmonk

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanks, I was just about to ask about recipes. Several years ago I had some fantastic homemade sauerkraut. This version had apples in it. Has anyone else had one like that? Better yet, does anyone have a recipe for it?

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:25 am

Hey bug,

sorry, no apples in mine. I used a few grinds of black pepper, half a dozen bay leaves, a goodly sprinkle of brown mustard seeds and maybe 1/4-1/2 teasponn full of fennel seeds.

Next one will have a few mild chillis copped through it as well...mmm

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

Return to Great Food VigArously