Pairing Suggestion For Macaroni and Cheese

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:56 am

Hi all,
My wife and I came up with a Christmas-time tradition that we'll start in earnest next year. We're going to make some Macaroni & Cheese and pair it with a beer that I brew every year.

I was thinking about a nice malty brown ale. Any other suggestions? Thanks very much!
-Steve
Biff

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:17 am

Honestly with the richness of a mac and cheese cream sauce I would think something that would cut through the palate a bit more than a brown.

Maybe an IPA (NOT double IPA, <50 IBUs) or even a Belgian strong. What about a sour beer? That might be the perfect palate cleanser.

Cheers,
Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:14 pm

We make our mac and cheese with some APA, so I usually grab a glass of the same when it's time for supper.
DannyW

Re: Pairing Suggestion For Macaroni and Cheese

Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Biff wrote:Hi all,
My wife and I came up with a Christmas-time tradition that we'll start in earnest next year. We're going to make some Macaroni & Cheese and pair it with a beer that I brew every year.

Just make sure that when you have kids don't stop. That's a really cool tradition.
yinzer

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:06 am

I'm partial to hot dogs in my mac & cheese.
Take pride in your achievements...because your failings will be punished without mercy.
Primary: American IPA (FWH!)
Bottled: 10W40 American Stout
Bottled: Utility American Mild
Lagering: Maibock
Bike Geek T-Shirts: www.cafepress.com/bzndesigns
Mr DNA

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am

I would second the APA. With the richness of the cheese sauce, especially if it's a home-made mac and cheese, you need something to cut through the fat. I'd imagine the medium bitterness of an APA, or even an ESB if it's bittered correctly. That might go a bit better, as you have the caramel background as well as the hop bite.

Mmmm, mac and cheese. Beer. Mmmmm.
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.

On Tap: 8.5% Belgian Blond
Fermenting: Nada
Next on the list: English Best Bitter
Lord-Byron

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:09 pm

I would say that you definitely need hot dogs in your mac and cheese, so if your gonna have lunch meat your going to have to pair it with.....BILK! BILK good fo you! BILK make you have strong bones!
BadRock
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:45 am

Tripel Karmaliet
PLAN, v.t. To bother about the best method of accomplishing an accidental result. - The Devil's Dictionary
skipper

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously