GulashSuppe recipe

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:18 am

here is my GulaschSuppe recipe that has been a big hit with friends and family. Hope you enjoy it as well. It is a great winter soup, hearty and filling with good rye or pumpernickel bread......yummmmm!

GulaschSuppe
5 medium onions, chopped
4 tbsp. Butter or margerine
2.5 lb. Beef chunks, cut into ½ inch cubes
¼ cup Paprika
1 tbsp. Caraway seeds
2 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp. Grated lemon rind (optional)
8 cups beef bouillon
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes

Preparation:
Cook onions in butter until golden. Add beef and paprika and cook, stirring constantly until slightly browned. Add caraway, garlic, (lemon rind), and bouillon. Season with salt and ground pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours. Add potatoes and cook for 30 minutes longer. Makes 8-12 servings.
Fuzzy

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Mom? Is that you? Why are you in the BN going by the name of Fuzzy?

You have absolutely no idea how hungry you just made me.
This recipe will be made this weekend. THANK YOU!!!!! I married an Italian and food like I grew up with is very hard to come by now unless I drive 6 hrs with a van full of kids up to Mom's. Don't suppose you know how to make (don't know how to spell this, go phonetic) BA-BIKE-E?
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:37 pm

BUKKAKE?!?!?!?
I know how to make it but I wouldn't eat it... that's just wrong.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 am

hey itchy, keep your fetishes to yourself. i'm trying to find out if we have a good hungarian cook here. ba-bike-e is fantastic. it's little pieces of bread (like my work-around for not using the word "balls') with either poppy seeds or sauerkraut.
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:49 am

that is spelt gulyaslevest. my wife is hungarian. :)
you really need to get the genuine paprika to get an authentic flavour for it.

i'll ask my wife if she knows what you're talking about. do you know how it's meant to be spelt? i can pronounce the hungarian words more easily from the genuine spelling than someone elses phonetics. everyone says things differently.
kegged-one light summer ale
kegged- one ordinary bitter
bottled- celebration ale
fermenting- ordinary bitter
brewsters millionths

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:21 pm

i couldn't even begin to guess how it is spelled. When my grandparents came here they didn't teach much Hungarian to thier kids, just food and the basics, please, thank you...they wanted their kids to be American not just a bunch of dumb mill hunkys. Grandma's words not mine. My Dad has passed so I have no one to ask. It's a dish of little bread balls of either poppy seed or sauerkraut. I couldn't eat enough of them when i was younger and we only got them at Christmas. Any and all help is appriciated. And yes, I said balls.
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:47 am

describing hungaraians as dumb hill monkeys is not the best way to get help from one. :?
kegged-one light summer ale
kegged- one ordinary bitter
bottled- celebration ale
fermenting- ordinary bitter
brewsters millionths

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:10 pm

mill hunkys...in pittsburgh, the vast majority of the workers in steel mills during the early and middle half of the past century were from eastern europe. pittsburgh is a very ethnic place;hungarian, slovokian, czech, lithuanian, russian, german...you get the idea. the term "mill hunky" is what people who worked in the mills were refered to as. my grandma wanted her kids to go to school and be able to speak the language. she didn't want her kids to go through what my grandfather did and die at the ripe old age of 36 from lung cancer. some people look down on the term and some wear it as a badge of honor. Grandma looked down on it for what it did to her life(3 kids during the 30's with no husband). dad ended up working in the mill anyway, for 42 years and i look at the term as a badge of honor thing.
"Some of the happiest people in the world come home smelling to high heaven." god in "Bruce Almightly"
i'm a blue collar guy from a blue collar place with a blue collar up-bringing. to me, it is not an insult.
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously