Re: Pork

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Getting the right ham is more important than the beer in my opinion. Go to a good meat vendor and get something bone in if you can, and uncooked but cured. If you slice it and it's homogenous and comes off as a slab, you've failed. If you can pull it apart as shreds of muscle fiber, that's what you want. If you buy presliced or spiral cut, I will punch you in the throat if we ever meet. The hard part with using beer in ham if you really want the flavor is getting the flavor throughout (which a spiral slice would do... but again, throat punch). A smaller cottage ham may work well as you'll have greater surface area to volume.

You could also make a reduction sauce to serve with the ham as an additional way to get beer flavor into the dish besides the brining. When doing reductions, avoid beers with high hop or roast malt character, as those will be intensified as you reduce (at least hop bitterness and roast, hop aroma and flavor will obviously be lost). I think the Scottish would do well.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 am

No need for face-punching. I have a friend who's a trained chef, and he's going to help me figure out the best ham to use. He's just not as familiar with beer-cooking, yet, so his selection of style wouldn't be as educated as everyone here at the BN Army.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
GilesTH

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 am

GilesTH wrote:No need for face-punching.

Good, I'd hate for it to come to that. :lol:
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 am

Ironman wrote:the Pig is a magical animal... chops, ribs, sausage, bacon. Magical.

no shoulder/butt?!?! who doesn't like their pork PULLED now and again?
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 pm

MFG2013 018 by homebrewer2005, on Flickr

We had this on the road to NHC. Against the Grain Brewery and Smokehouse in Louisville, KY in Lousiville Slugger stadium. Pork Belly on a Stick, and the dipping sauce is maple syrup. And yes, I licked the wood.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:Image
MFG2013 018 by homebrewer2005, on Flickr

We had this on the road to NHC. Against the Grain Brewery and Smokehouse in Louisville, KY in Lousiville Slugger stadium. Pork Belly on a Stick, and the dipping sauce is maple syrup. And yes, I licked the wood.

At first glance, I thought they were pork belly tap handles. Now I don't know how I would feel about that.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote: And yes, I licked the wood.

Who wouldn't? that looks beautiful.
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:36 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:We had this on the road to NHC. Against the Grain Brewery and Smokehouse in Louisville, KY in Lousiville Slugger stadium. Pork Belly on a Stick, and the dipping sauce is maple syrup. And yes, I licked the wood.

that looks like it was a super awesome tasty meal!
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

PreviousNext

Return to Great Food VigArously