Ham Glaze Beer

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:45 am

Smoking a ham today for tomorrow. Any ideas on a glaze made with some hombrew? I have a Russian Imperial stout and I think that it will go good with brown sugar based glaze. Cumin, smoked serrano powder, s+p, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, and a touch of celery salt. It will be the same mix that I used to rub the ham. Yep, been rubbin my ham.
snowcapt

Re: Ham Glaze Beer

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:17 am

I've got an already cooked ham that I'm going to heat on the smoker. I'll throw together a glaze with some of my Belgian Dark Strong and some brown sugar or honey and whatever sounds good at the time.

I think malty and/or sweet beers work good for this kind of thing. Barleywine, RIS, BDS, etc.
Bokonon

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:48 pm

I would think that a simple reduction is the way to go with that. Reduce by 1/2 or even 2/3s.
CRBrewHound

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:10 pm

You guys must have been reading my mind. I've was just thinking this afternoon about doing a barleywine reduction for my ham glaze tomorrow.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Great Food VigArously