Making Hop Extract

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:12 am

On the last homebrewed chef, Paxton talked about making a hop extract with vodka. However, I didn't catch an amount of hops to use, does anyone have an idea of how much hops we should add per pint/quart or some other unit of measurement.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Re: Making Hop Extract

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 am

An ounce, because he was talking about how to use the Home Brew Chef sampler from Niko Brew.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:50 am

I think he was also saying that you want to be sampling occasionally and strain the hops out when it is where you want it... Concentration and time are what is going to determine the amount of flavor you get.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:05 am

I forgot about the Niko Brew comment, thanks. An ounce in a pint mason jar, excellent!
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Did you ever do this? How'd it turn out?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 am

Hey Spider,

It worked out great, I did it with Willimatette, Cascade and Amarillo. I've done a cheesecake, which only had a very subtle hop flavor, but produced some great hop farts, put it on pasta, which was great, and I regularly spike the crappy beer that I am forced to subsist on in Thailand.

I also grind up small amounts of different malts and add them to bread and other baked goods, often to replace oats. They give everything a nice malty, and beer-esque flavor. Munich is one of my favorites for this purpose.
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:42 pm

those are my 3 favorite hops! i have always wondered about making bread flour from malted grains... i plan on making hop tinctures and butter with this next years crop from the yard.
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Return to Great Food VigArously