Whats a good all purpose beer to cook with?

Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm

Just getting into the world of cooking with beer. I'm looking at making a beer that I can cook a lot of thing with over the summer. Is there a general all purpose style of beer that will cover a lot of the bases? I was thinking and Irish Red or a English Bitter. Something malty but not real big. Thanks for your help!
"No balls no babies." - neighbor dan
blueberry

Re: Whats a good all purpose beer to cook with?

Tue May 31, 2011 2:17 pm

At the risk of getting banned ( :wink: ) I use Heineken. I don't know what style would that be...
A pessimist is a well informed optimist.
Inodoro Pereyra

Tue May 31, 2011 4:41 pm

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:At the risk of getting banned ( :wink: ) I use Heineken. I don't know what style would that be...
my dad is notorious for putting his Coors in damn near anything that simmers on the stove... Chili to spaghetti, he's gonna sneak some in... In his defense there's never a bad result! Could be that coors is flavorless :) who knows?!?

:jnj
Josh
Jbug

Tue May 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Like cooking with wine I say anything you would drink. I would just take it easy with the ones that are more hop forward. I cooked beef cheeks for tacos in the oven yesterday and added about 8 oz's of boulevards boss toms golden bock to it.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Tue May 31, 2011 6:30 pm

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen is an awesome addition/marinade for anything that will hit the grill.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue May 31, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm rather fond of making a marinade from porter, soy sauce and brown sugar when I'm smoking some pork butt. Marinate overnight then rub with dry rub before indirect smoking for about...forever...till it is ready to fall apart. Yum.
alan_marks

Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 pm

A nice brown ale can et you some nice flavors. I make a pecan pie that has a cup of stout in it and have made beer butt chicken with tons of different styles; but a nice brown ale works best for me. When it reduces, the hops are still pretty muted and it is a nice sweetish/caramelized flavor. Reduce some stock and the beer and use it for damn neer anythin. Makes a ood beer batter, too, for fish frys and onion rins.
:jnj
snowcapt

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't cook with anything where the IBUs are more than like 15. One of the best beers to cook with is the kind that your grampa buys for $10/case. Yes, I'm serious. Otherwise, stick with sweet stouts, porters, brown ales, Scottish ales... the stuff without much hops in it.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously