Wienterschnitzel Recipe?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Anyone have a good recipe for Wienterschnitzel?

I said Wiener.
Junket -- BN Guerilla

Scotties
CAP
Hummers
Cascadian Beet Ale
Gratzer
Fermenting
Canadian Trippel
Chipotle Amber
Tasty APA
Junket

Re: Wienterschnitzel Recipe?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:43 am

this one from Cook's illustrated is awesome.

Use the dutch oven and be sure to keep it shaking while the cutlets are in there. You can substitute veal (traditional for Wienerschnitzel) for the pork. You can also substitute packaged bread crumbs in lieu of making them yourself as in step 1.
a trick that I picked up somewhere for pounding the cutlets is to put them inside a bag from a box of cereal or crackers. They're really tough and can withstand all that pounding much better than plastic wrap or wax paper. Might want to throw a little oil in there so that the cutlets can spread out properly when pounding. Allright, enough of my ramblings, here you go. Enjoy!

Serves 4. Published January 1, 2009. From Cook's Illustrated.

The two cups of oil called for in this recipe may seem like a lot—but they’re necessary to achieve a wrinkled texture on the finished cutlets. When properly cooked, the cutlets absorb very little oil. To ensure ample cooking space, a large Dutch oven is essential. In lieu of an instant-read thermometer to gauge the oil’s temperature, place a fresh (not dry) bread cube in the oil and start heating; when the bread is deep golden brown, the oil is ready.

Ingredients
7 large high-quality sandwich bread , crusts removed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pork tenderloin (1 1/4 pounds). trimmed of fat and silver skin and cut on angle into 4 equal pieces

Garnishes
1 lemon , cut into wedges
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons capers , rinsed
1 large hard-cooked egg , yolk and white separated and passed separately through fine-mesh strainer (optional)

Instructions

1. Place bread cubes on large microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high power for 4 minutes, stirring well halfway through cooking time. Microwave on medium power until bread is dry and few pieces start to lightly brown, 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring every minute. Process dry bread in food processor to very fine crumbs, about 45 seconds. Transfer bread crumbs to shallow dish (you should have about 11/4 cups crumbs). Spread flour in second shallow dish. Beat eggs with 1 tablespoon oil in third shallow dish.

2. Place pork, with 1 cut-side down, between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound to even thickness between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. Season cutlets with salt and pepper. Working with 1 cutlet at a time, dredge cutlets thoroughly in flour, shaking off excess, then coat with egg mixture, allowing excess to drip back into dish to ensure very thin coating, and coat evenly with bread crumbs, pressing on crumbs to adhere. Place breaded cutlets in single layer on wire rack set over baking sheet; let coating dry 5 minutes.

3. Heat remaining 2 cups oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until it registers 375 degrees on instant-read thermometer. Lay 2 cutlets, without overlapping, in pan and cook, shaking pan continuously and gently, until cutlets are wrinkled and light golden brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer cutlets to paper towel-lined plate and flip cutlets several times to blot excess oil. Repeat with remaining cutlets. Serve immediately with garnishes.
Don Blake
BJCP Grand Master Judge

Fermenting: WitBier
on tap: Cal Common, Funky yeast experiments
dontblake

Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:30 am

Nice - will have wienerschnitzel, spaetzl, and apple fritters, paired with Southern Tier Harvest Ale, for an Octoberfest dinner tonight. Off to the orchard to pick the apples...
Junket -- BN Guerilla

Scotties
CAP
Hummers
Cascadian Beet Ale
Gratzer
Fermenting
Canadian Trippel
Chipotle Amber
Tasty APA
Junket

Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Made that recipe, and it was great. Used rye rather than white bread. It's a really quick, simple process, though I think 375 was a bit to hot for the oil (or my thermometer is wrong... says the brewer). I'll try 350 next time. Would have taken some pictures, but had a few too many Octoberfests in me by the time I was done cooking.
Junket -- BN Guerilla

Scotties
CAP
Hummers
Cascadian Beet Ale
Gratzer
Fermenting
Canadian Trippel
Chipotle Amber
Tasty APA
Junket

Return to Great Food VigArously