Dry Rub for Smoking Ribs

Fri May 07, 2010 6:34 am

So this weekend will be my maiden voyage into smoking. I plan to do a couple slabs of baby back ribs, low and slow according to Homer. I've listened to both Homer shows on the session and copied down the ingredients for the dry rub:

Salt
Pepper ( Quite a bit )
Celery Salt
Cumin
Chili Powder
Paprika
Brown Sugar
White Sugar

My question is, what proportions do you think are best for this rub. He did say to use quite a bit of pepper, but I'd hate to over power the spices too much.

I do plan to use vinegar and mustard on them as well. Damn I'm getting hungry already.

Also, how often do you baste them, every 1/2 hour? Ever hour?

Thanks.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Re: Dry Rub for Smoking Ribs

Fri May 07, 2010 7:48 am

TheDarkSide wrote:So this weekend will be my maiden voyage into smoking. I plan to do a couple slabs of baby back ribs, low and slow according to Homer. I've listened to both Homer shows on the session and copied down the ingredients for the dry rub:

Salt
Pepper ( Quite a bit )
Celery Salt
Cumin
Chili Powder
Paprika
Brown Sugar
White Sugar

My question is, what proportions do you think are best for this rub. He did say to use quite a bit of pepper, but I'd hate to over power the spices too much.

I do plan to use vinegar and mustard on them as well. Damn I'm getting hungry already.

Also, how often do you baste them, every 1/2 hour? Ever hour?

Thanks.

1tablespoon Salt
1tablespoon Pepper
1tablespoon Celery Salt
1tablespoon Cumin
1tablespoon Chili Powder
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup White Sugar

you might add 1 teaspoon cayenne for a bit of a kick

Some might do this different but this is the way I do it in TEXAS (which I believe is the right way ;) ) I put the rub on the ribs and let them sit for several hours then, I sear them. Just a quick high heat sear to seal the rub in. As far as basting, I try to baste often because the ribs tend to dry out quickly. So maybe every 15 to 20 minutes.

Just keep your fire low, soaking some wood chips in water will help keep the fire low. If you can start soaking some wood chips the day before you start. This being said it depends on the kind of smoker you use.

Now get ready for 1000 other ways to do it ;)
On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Robust Porter, Vienna Lager, German Pilsner
Conditioning: APA (Tasty's Recipe)
Fermenting: Alt, Scottish 70
On Deck: Bitter then a Wit
Jimbob

Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 am

pick your spices as your taste likes, you also might want to soak them over night in a brine solution(sea salt and sugar) boiled then cooled.. I smoke most meats around 180f to 200f for 6 to 10 hours
Fermenting My black IPA III
Kegged EFF IPA 10gal
Bottled = English Brown Ale, Imperial Brown Ale, .Vanilla Bourbon Porter
henrythe9th

Fri May 07, 2010 5:56 pm

NEVER BOIL RIBS!!!. As far as soaking wood, the only thing that does is create steam not smoke so it's useless for smoke. I use chunks not chips and water doesn't really penetrate hard wood so it's a waste of time.

3-2-1- method works for baby backs at 225-250. That's 3hrs on the smoker, 2hrs wrapped in foil on the smoker then 1hr unwrapped on the smoker to firm up. They are moist and tender with no basting required. Sometimes I'll put a little brown sugar on the ribs when I foil them. I don't normally use bbq sauce since the mustard, dry rub and the brown sugar will work for that.
dresselbrew

Mon May 10, 2010 5:09 am

dresselbrew wrote:NEVER BOIL RIBS!!!.

One of the funniest parts of the Homer show was when Icky called in asking about boiling ribs first. OH DEAR LORD ICKY NOOO!!!!!

The rub above was great...wife thought it wa sa bit too spicy. Next time she can spend hours taking care of them. I think I'll try Dresselbrew's suggestion next time. The wood chips never really did smoke. I did use the water that I soaked them in in the water pan, so maybe something came over.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sat May 29, 2010 6:16 am

try adding apple juice to the 2 hour wrap when using the 3-2-1 method.

might be best to use the 2-2-1 method for baby backs, it all depends on the size. Anything near 2 lbs is perfect for me.
On tap at the LAB.

Winter Warmer - 5.4%
Amber's Sister Ale - 5.3%

Coming up -Dunkel
shunt

Sat May 29, 2010 6:17 am

anybody use a WSM to smoke?
(Weber smokey mountain)

I love mine and I can hold 225 for hours with perfect smoke.
On tap at the LAB.

Winter Warmer - 5.4%

Coming up -Dunkel
shunt

Sat May 29, 2010 9:54 am

mine...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
On tap at the LAB.

Winter Warmer - 5.4%