Italian beef

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

How do you guys make your Italian beef? I have been using a slow cooker with dry Italian dressing and a pint or two of ale. It keeps coming out tuff.
larry78cj7

Re: Italian beef

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Try grinding it with those teeth of yours.
code
codewritinfool

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:49 pm

larry78cj7 wrote:How do you guys make your Italian beef? I have been using a slow cooker with dry Italian dressing and a pint or two of ale. It keeps coming out tuff.

I'll bet you're over-cooking it and drying it out in a crock-pot. I think the roast should be pretty rare when you slice it. Then when you reheat it in the gravy, it cooks perfectly.

The other secret is to slice the meat VERY thin. Use a deli-style slicer if you can. Here are some great recipes for Italian Beef.

Oh, and don't forget the giardiniera!
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:19 pm

codewritinfool wrote:Try grinding it with those teeth of yours.

:lol:
larry78cj7

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Elbone wrote:
larry78cj7 wrote:How do you guys make your Italian beef? I have been using a slow cooker with dry Italian dressing and a pint or two of ale. It keeps coming out tuff.

I'll bet you're over-cooking it and drying it out in a crock-pot. I think the roast should be pretty rare when you slice it. Then when you reheat it in the gravy, it cooks perfectly.

The other secret is to slice the meat VERY thin. Use a deli-style slicer if you can. Here are some great recipes for Italian Beef.

That might be the problem. I am cooking it for 8 to 12 hours in the slow cooker, I then pull it out and slice it. I don't have a deli slicer, I was thinking about getting an electric knife, I could use it to filet crappie too.
Should I cook it at a low temp for a long time, or just get the outside brown at 350 in the oven, slice and put it in the gravy? Thanks
larry78cj7

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 am

larry78cj7 wrote:
Elbone wrote:

That might be the problem. I am cooking it for 8 to 12 hours in the slow cooker, I then pull it out and slice it. I don't have a deli slicer, I was thinking about getting an electric knife, I could use it to filet crappie too.
Should I cook it at a low temp for a long time, or just get the outside brown at 350 in the oven, slice and put it in the gravy? Thanks

I brown it good on all sides in a hot skillet or Dutch oven on the stovetop, then season it, and put it in the oven 'till it's medium-rare at most. The site I linked above has the technique laid out on it. There are as many ways to do Italian Beef as there are Chicagoans! The cut you choose is important, too. I like a bottom round roast. Here's another decent looking recipe. Do brown the roast before putiing it in the oven, though. It adds a lot of flavor.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Dammit - I miss Chicago. I'm going to have to make one of these this weekend you bastards.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Return to Great Food VigArously