Smoked Salt

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:00 am

I picked up some smoked sea salt for the first time, and I like it. Couldn't I make my own and save some $'s? I figure that every time I grill or smoke something, I can add a container of sea salt to the grill. I might have to re-smoke the salt several times until its smokey enough. Have any of you tried this? Advice?
Be no longer a drinker of water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake

1 Timothy 5:23
Cosmic Charlie

Re: Smoked Salt

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 am

Sounds like a good idea! I never would have thought about that. Let us know how it turns out.
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:11 am

Yup you can do it (I have a batch of mesquite smoked salt at the moment) and basically anything else you think of you can smoke in the smoker. Grains, salt, cheese, meat...
yabodie

Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:32 am

I have a made a few different types of smoked salt (alder for fish pork and chicken, cherry and apple for pork and chicken and misquite and hickory for beef). just put a good salt (i use a moist sea salt) on with whatever you are smoking and it will be great.
Dont rule out adding other flavors though. A bit of apple or cherry smoked salt bashed up with some lime zest and/or hot pepper flakes is amazing on shrimp, fish, chicken or pork. And dont forget a bit of rosemary or sage bashed up with any smoked salt will do nicely on pork, veal, beef or game. Maybe a bit of mint for some lamb?
bsly12

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:00 am

yep. It works and its delicious.

Moist sea salt is the way to go.
Hanzo Razor

Return to Great Food VigArously