lamb shank with merlot reduction and veggies

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Well, my brewing still needs work because I struggled a little with the dortmunder I brewed tonight but atleast I made some good grub. I seared the shank with just salt and olive oil in a cast iron skillet. After searing, I took the shank out and threw in some rough chopped onions, carrots and garlic. deglazed with merlot. put everything into a pot with some beef broth, more wine and a bay leaf and braised on 250F for 4 hours. took the shank out and reduced the braising liquid to a glaze. boiled some yukon gold and red potatoes and then seared in butter after cooked. sauteed some shallots, and baked some squash. washed down with natural ice. it was awesome and the whole thing only cost me $8.00, not including the natty ice, but that does include the 1/2 bottle of two buck chuck I used for the braise.
Private BN Army,
Mini Batch Division.:bnarmy:

primary:
secondary:
bottled: Autumn Maple clone (came out awesome), and Jamil's baltic porter
kegged:
on deck: more beer ya dummy
straight cash homey

Re: lamb shank with merlot reduction and veggies

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 am

Looks absolutely delicious.

Which reminds me, it's almost Burns Night and I need to pick up ingredients to make my annual haggis! My recipe is modernized but has lamb and liver and steel cut oats.... yum yum. Plenty of nice gamey flavor. Too bad I don't have any venison left or I'd use some of that. It's like a kitchen-sink dish anyway. Recipe is here: http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/Stag ... ecipes.htm
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Natty Ice? You gotta work on your beer / food pairing skills there! :)
Sent From My iPhone

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:27 pm

i was waiting for a comment about the natty ice. it's terrible but I'm virtually broke until next semester starts and my financial aid check kicks in. until then I'm enjoying the smooth crisp taste of the natty ice. it'll get ya drunk.
Private BN Army,
Mini Batch Division.:bnarmy:

primary:
secondary:
bottled: Autumn Maple clone (came out awesome), and Jamil's baltic porter
kegged:
on deck: more beer ya dummy
straight cash homey

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 pm

I just did lamb shanks tonight and used Gunnies (St Patty's day) in lieu of the 2 cups of water. It was awesome.
808BREW
Sergeant BN Army, Pacific Division
808brew

Return to Great Food VigArously