Brewery Operations Manual, questions

Thu May 23, 2013 5:36 pm

I am looking to buy this book, has anybody read / used it? I have been researching opening a place for the last few years online, and I want to step up to some published information and begin building a business plan. Thoughts on the book?

-Bill
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Re: Brewery Operations Manual, questions

Fri May 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Haven't ever seen that before. It's only 20 bucks though, so relatively low risk if it isn't helpful.

The BA puts out the Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery (2nd Edition) By Dick Cantwell
but it is $95 <I bought the first edition- it is very helpful>

My 2 cents is read everything you can find on the subject. You are considering risking money, time, etc. on a brewery; you should get educated before taking the jump into the deep end. AS I write my plan, I am finding that a business class - entrepreneurship would be the most beneficial. Making beer / product on a larger scale is relatively easy compared to the business acumen that is needed for a start-up.
Corporal, BN Army
On Tap: Whatever IPA, Oat Stout, Cider, Citra-Mosaic Hopped Cider, Cherry Cider.
Aging: Black Currant Lambic, Oud Bruin, Eng B-wine, 65gal barrel of scabby 3rd runs w/Rosalare-Lacto Brux -we just call T.E.D.
BrewChoPs

Fri May 24, 2013 5:31 pm

BrewChoPs wrote:Haven't ever seen that before. It's only 20 bucks though, so relatively low risk if it isn't helpful.

The BA puts out the Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery (2nd Edition) By Dick Cantwell
but it is $95 <I bought the first edition- it is very helpful>

My 2 cents is read everything you can find on the subject. You are considering risking money, time, etc. on a brewery; you should get educated before taking the jump into the deep end. AS I write my plan, I am finding that a business class - entrepreneurship would be the most beneficial. Making beer / product on a larger scale is relatively easy compared to the business acumen that is needed for a start-up.

Ya I figured it's free to do the research that I have been doing for the last couple of years. The reviews of this book have been pretty good. As for entrepreneur classes, I am looking in to those as well. I work in medicine and as far as business goes, I will admit that I am pretty uneducated. That being said, I am reading everything I can lay my hands on. Good luck on your plans and please keep us posted on your progress?
NHbeerscene

Sat May 25, 2013 5:59 am

I found this a while ago. Some of the I of is out of date but still enlightening

http://morebeer.com/articles/how_to_start_a_brewery

To bad we didn't have a section "going pro" where we could place all of this for other people who are looking to start up.
NHbeerscene

Sat May 25, 2013 9:38 am

FYI fellas, the guy who wrote it (Tom Hennessy) is booked for the June 10 episode of The Session.
Moscow
Global Moderator

Sun May 26, 2013 3:46 am

Moscow wrote:FYI fellas, the guy who wrote it (Tom Hennessy) is booked for the June 10 episode of The Session.

Sweet I should be done reading it by then, and I am not working that weekend. Might be good for two calls, one for the guest and DOTW.
NHbeerscene

Return to Beer Radio