Re: Parti-gyle Show?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:05 pm

BenTheBrewer wrote:I'm glad to see someone else is curious about this. I am not a high gravity brew fan. If I could get a 1.055 and a 1.038 that would be fine. However I wouldn't know where to start. 1.072 is a little high for my tastes.

Ben the Brewer

*Disclaimer: my math and thought processes might be shit right now, I'm trying to simultaneously edit a video together and the two are completely different mental processes.

**Disclaimer: and to confirm my fears, I went back through and re-did my math and I had a couple small errors.

If I were going to go your route, I'd shoot for 13.2 pre-boil gallons of wort at a gravity between the two and blend the first and second runnings to hit your numbers in each of the boil kettles.

If you have a boil-off rate of 20% per hour:

6.6 gallons at 1.046 = 304 gravity points (boiling off 20% leaves you 5.5 gallons around 1.055) - **gravity points determined by Volume X SG points (6.6 X 46)**
+
6.6 gallons at 1.031 = 205 gravity points (boiling off 20% leaves you 5.5 gallons around 1.038)
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
509 - ish gravity points

(using the "2/3rds of your gravity comes out in the first runnings" theory)

~66.7% of 509 gives you 340 gravity points in the first runnings
~33.3% of 509 gives you 169 gravity points in the second runnings

Blend 'em to get you in the ballpark of the right gravity points and you're on the right path. It's just a matter of doing the math to get there.

Taking 50% of each runnings (50% of 340 gravity points + 50% of 169 gravity points) runnings gives you two kettles with 254 gravity points (1.038 preboil and 1.046 post boil) in each one.

Taking 33.3% of the first runnings (340*0.333) and 66.7% of the second runnings (169*0.667) gives you a kettle with 224 gravity points (1.034 pre-boil and 1.041 post boil). The other kettle would be somewhere around 285 gravity points (1.043 pre-boil and 1.052 post-boil).

Taking 25% of the first runnings (340*0.25) and 75% of the second runnings (169*0.75) gives you a kettle with 212 gravity points (1.032 pre-boil and 1.039 post boil). The other kettle would be somewhere around 302 gravity points (1.046 pre-boil and 1.055 post-boil).

...hopefully I'm not way off in my thought process or I just wasted some time...it was good for me to think it through, though.
Last edited by Wutz on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bottle: Lonely Beer Party Bitter, Mildly Amused, Saison Du Biz (two fermentors with slightly different ferm. temps), Noah's Parti Bitter

Fermentor: Noahs Parti Wine-o

Coming up:
Wutz

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Oy, I think my brain just seized up. I need to give the math a serious going over before it will make total sense to me. I really want to know what some good combo's are. the last one I made was a Belgian Golden Strong and what I think was a Belgian Table Ale. Both were good, but I think they could get better. I would be good to hear it from someone with a lot of experience brewing these.
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 am

Yeah. That's a little too much to get only looking it over once. I will look at it later and try to figure it out when I've got a little more time. Thanks Wutz for sharing your experience and logic...
BenTheBrewer

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 am

I have read everything I could find on line about parti-gyle brewing and I would like to learn more. Does anyone know a more in depth source of info?

This is what I have found so far as well as some others that I can't find anymore. I know Anchor still uses this technique, are there any others?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Parti-gyle
http://www1.picobrewery.com/askarchive/parti-gyle.htm
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html#3
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=12651.0
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 am

A big +1 to the idea of a show dedicated to parti-gyle...perhaps a further explanation of how to use BeerSmith to assist in designing the recipe. I tried this on my own and as a result I have created a parti-gyle recipe set in BeerSmith with my first runnings being an Imperial IPA and my second being a pale ale or blonde.

I basically created 3 separate recipes...an unhopped master wort and 2 separate recipes using the same grain bill from the master and adding hops to the boil.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?
Homebrewing Since (way back in) Dec 2007
Fermenting: Batch# G!0042 - DevilPhish 66.6 IPA v2.5.5
Keg 1: Air
Keg 2: Air
Keg 3: Air

If at first you don't succeed...then skydiving is NOT for you!!!
RokGoblin

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:19 am

RokGoblin wrote:A big +1 to the idea of a show dedicated to parti-gyle...perhaps a further explanation of how to use BeerSmith to assist in designing the recipe. I tried this on my own and as a result I have created a parti-gyle recipe set in BeerSmith with my first runnings being an Imperial IPA and my second being a pale ale or blonde.

I basically created 3 separate recipes...an unhopped master wort and 2 separate recipes using the same grain bill from the master and adding hops to the boil.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

But doesn't that throw every thing off? The two batches would be based on differing percentages of the sugars in the grain bed (ie 1st running's would be 70 percent and 2nd would be 30 %) I would think that would also change the hop utilization for each beer.
NHbeerscene

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:47 am

NHbeerscene wrote:But doesn't that throw every thing off? The two batches would be based on differing percentages of the sugars in the grain bed (ie 1st running's would be 70 percent and 2nd would be 30 %) I would think that would also change the hop utilization for each beer.

Not quite sure on the specifics of how RG set it up in there, but for a given amount of grain you could get a good idea of your initial runnings by setting it up as a no sparge. Flip it back to batch sparge, and that should give you an idea what you are getting out of the second runnings by subtracting the two. For the first recipe, I'd run it as a no sparge, since that's what you're basically doing. If you take that info and set up a second recipe using the same grain proportion as in the initial mash, you can adjust your amounts (as a work around) to match the expected gravity of the second runnings. That would allow BS to calculate your hop utilization, etc based on the expected gravity of hte second batch.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:46 am

+1
That just makes too much sense.
good on you, spider. :jnj