Re: Linux

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm a linux user, although unfortunately not exclusively. Linux does not work with programmable logic controllers software, so my garage laptop is Windows.
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:22 am

Ozwald wrote:Alright you Linux nerds, you got me.

I've been resurrecting an old Netbook... got it running & Win7 Home Premium installed back on it. I've been trying for about a week to "over"clock it so it can at least play a YouTube video without stuttering out. It's not really OC'ing since it came from the manufacturer underclocked.

Without breaking out a soldering iron, there wasn't any hope for it... so now it's running Ubuntu. I'm liking it a lot more now than when I first took a look at it. I'm mostly using the terminal, but having the GUI is nice too. Best of all it runs so much faster on factory hardware settings.

With the current talk of Windows '10' as it stands now, I might be migrating everything over to Linux in the near future. Probably not all Ubuntu, but we'll see. I wasn't a fan of Fedora or Kubuntu, which were the other 2 I tried a full install with. I have a feeling that some others might be more appealing after I get used to this one a bit more.

Reviving an old thread, yet again :D

Ozwald, before you dedicate yourself to Ubuntu, give Gentoo -systemd or Sabayon with systemd a shot. Both are fairly flexible and Gentoo has had the "it mostly just works" thing right for a long time. Only hassle is the whole compile thing with Gentoo and reliance on systemd for Sabayon.

Just my $.02 as a long-term user (have done my taxes in a VM for better than a decade).
CHBKorea

Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:09 pm

I remember looking into Gentoo, but I don't remember if I actually tried it out.

So far, other than gaming, Ubuntu is doing everything I need it to do & rather well I might add. I use the terminal to do most things instead of relying on the GUI, software center or websites. I haven't messed around with the Libre spreadsheets yet & I haven't looked into a replacement for Quicken yet either, mostly from dealing with other stuff & a lack of time. As for gaming, I need to put a new SSD in the Alien to try that out. I don't have enough room to do a dual boot & the 2 computers I have been using Linux on aren't powerful enough to do any real gaming regardless of what OS is running.

I did have to resort to VirtualBox for my iPod. I tried a dozen plus different MP3 players & none offered the options I wanted for iPod support - not one has good smart playlists which I rely on quite a bit. My main syncing lists have some pretty complex rule structures that can't be duplicated without rules inside of rules. I do use Clementine as my at-home player though. It has some drawbacks, but it's still far better than anything else I tried.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Off Topic Stuff