Reducing the sediment

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm

I keg my brews, and discovered early in the piece that my beers were not as clear as I might like.
Now I'm coming to grips with the many reasons why homebrews can be cloudy. Having 6 PM kegs
helps clearing because the brews are able to rest, sometimes a month or 3, in the brew fridge before being cracked.

The design of a PM keg is such that it is meant to deliver as much content as possible, and that works by having the end of the draw tube sitting in the dimple of the keg bottom, with very little gap. A beer that was poorly settled before kegging, once kegged will settle a surprising amount of crud around the end of the drawpipe. I found that shortening it by cutting 10mm or so off the end made a huge difference to the beer's clarity and when the keg blows there is less than a glassful left in it.

Cheers
:jnj
thursty2

Re: Reducing the sediment

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Doc wrote:Hehe.. *mumbleslur* show you my diptube...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Do you go straight from primary fermenter into your keg or do you do a transfer and leave to settle out before kegging? I transfer and cold crash for a week and this massively helps reduce sediment transfer.
Underground Joe

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:18 am

I took one of my corny kegs and cut an inch off the diptube. I just did a kolsch and transferred to this "Bright tank" with gelatin and put in the kegerator for a week (only enough co2 to seal it). Then I used a jumper on the out ports and transferred over to a serving keg. It came out so clear, you would think it was filtered. I was drinking it about 4-5 weeks after the brew day.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing